How To Play Roulette Online
It should come as no surprise that the popularity of brick-and-mortar casino roulette remains just as trendy online. In fact, the simplicity of the game is one of the reasons novice bettors gravitate towards the big wheel.
If you’ve never had the opportunity to bet on red or black, watch the spin of the wheel and enjoy the thrill of this popular casino game, our how to play roulette guide will walk you through the basic rules, betting types, the wheel spin and game variations.
2020 Top Sites for Playing Roulette Online
- What are roulette betting options?
- What happens during and after the roulette wheel spins?
- What are roulette game variations?
- What are the difference between online and brick-and-mortar casino roulette?
Playing online roulette is a three-step process.
- Take your uniquely colored chips and place your bet
- The croupier sends the ball one direction and spins the wheel the opposite direction
- The ball stops on a number and color and winners are paid out.
|Outside Bets||Inside Bets|
|Even: A win is if the ball lands on an even number.||Street Bet: A bet on any 3 (horizontal) numbers. For example, a bet on 4-6 or 7-9.|
|Odd: A win is if the ball lands on an odd number.||Six Line: this is also referred to as a double street wager. This is a bet on 2 lines of 3 (horizontal) numbers. For example, a bet on 1-6 would be a six-line bet.|
|Red: A win hits if the ball rests on red numbers||Column: This bet pays 2-1 (two-to-one). There are three columns you can wager on.|
|Black: A win hits if the ball lands on a black number.||Corner: This is a bet made on the center of four numbers. For example, you can bet on the corners of 13, 14, 16, 17.|
|1-18 Number Bet: A win cashes if the ball rests on a number between 1 and 18.||Split Bet: This is a bet made on the center of four numbers. For example, you can bet on the corners of 13, 14, 16, 17.|
|19-36: A win cashes if the ball lands on a number between 19 and 36||Single Number / Straight Up: Bet on any number from 0/00 to 36. This bet pays out very well.|
|First 12: You win if the ball winds up on a number between 1 and 12.|
|Second 12: You win if the ball rests on a number between 13 and 24|
|Third 12: You win if the ball lands on a number between 25 and 36.|
After you place your bet, the dealer/croupier will send the ball for a spin around the wheel. The ball and wheel go in opposite directions before the ball drops into one of the red or black or green numbered pocket slots. There are several game variations to choose from, but in most cases, the basic objective of roulette remains the same.
- American roulette features 38 pockets for the ball to fall into, which are 0 and 00 (zero and double-zero) and 1-36.
- A European roulette wheel has 37 pockets, which are 0 (zero) and 1-37.
- French roulette is European roulette with specific rules that can shrink the house edges over the player.
- Speed roulette is a great option for the player on the go. The wheel spins approximately every 25 seconds, which leads to more payouts every hour.
- Double-Ball roulette observes American roulette rules, but incorporates a second ball on every spin.
- Lightning roulette uses a European set-up, but boasts payout multipliers should your number hit.
These different roulette game variations may change your strategy somewhat as you decide between an inside or outside wager when also accounting for more or fewer numbered colored slots and betting combinations.
Before you start playing roulette, be sure to factor in the house edges of each game variation. American roulette’s house edge is 5.26%, European’s house edge of 2.70% and the French roulette wheel is the same as European’s, but the French pays half the bet back to the players if the ball lands on 0, to reduce the house edge to 1.35%.
Also, if you’re not interested in playing software-based online roulette, many sites, like Bovada, now offer live dealer roulette where you are watching real-life roulette tables, wheel and croupier LIVE via video streaming.
So, here we are, nearing the end of how to play roulette online tutorial and I know what many of you are thinking. What is the difference between playing roulette online versus visiting a brick-and-mortar, land-based casino? From a pure gameplay and strategy perspective, not much. However, in most instances, playing roulette online is powered by random number generator software, which you want to verify as being licensed and regulated by third-party authorities. This information is often found in the “About Us” section of the site. However, if you have any questions, be sure to ask customer support before making your first deposit.
Also, if you’re not interested in playing software-based online roulette, many sites, like Bovada, now offer live dealer roulette where you are watching real-life roulette tables, wheel and croupier live via video streaming. This way each bet is observed LIVE on camera as if you were in an actual casino, but are instead enjoying it from the comfort of your own home. No need to get ready, hop in a car or airplane and travel hours to the casino. Live dealer roulette offers the best of brick-and-mortar casino experience on demand and at your fingertips.